Wimbledon hold “emergency meeting”

Tennis

Wimbledon could be postponed or even canceled after all England Club leaders called an “emergency meeting” for the next week to discuss whether to go ahead with the tournament this year mid epidemic coronavirus.

Wimbledon is set to start in London on 29 June, but the continued spread of the virus has wreaked havoc with the sporting calendar and the grass-court Grand Slam could be the next major event to be delayed.

“box AELTC confirm that it continues a detailed assessment of all the scenarios for the 2020 Championships, including the deferral and cancellation, following the 19-Covid epidemic,” a statement All England club announced Wednesday.

“a heartgency meeting AELTC Leadership Council is scheduled for next week, and in preparation, we are communicating closely with the MLT and with the ATP, WTA, ITF and other Grand Slam. “

The French Open was the first of the three other Grand Slam this year’s tournament to be postponed because of the virus. Initially scheduled to run from May 24 to June 7 the clay court tournament was moved to 20 September by the French Tennis Federation in a move that has angered some players.

the new date of the French Open just a week after the US Open ends and clashes with the Cup Wash, the team competition of popular created exhibition by Roger Federer and with the main players ofE Europe and the world.

Wimbledon, whose simple titles were won by Novak Djokovic and Simona Halep last year, is the crown jewel of four Grand Slam tournaments of the sport.

But the move deeper into the tennis calendar can be difficult after the furore caused by the unilateral French open the switch.

Euro 2020 and the Tokyo Olympics were both delivered by a year to allow the health crisis to solve.

‘significant risk

the pressure is increasing on the All England club to make a decision and the organizers decided to play the tournament behind closed doors.

“the recstruction for the championships is expected to begin in late April, “the statement said.

“At that time, based on the advice we have received from the public health authorities, the window We very short to stage Championships because of the nature of our area suggests that delaying is not without significant risk and diffcult. Play camera was formally excluded. “

Since it takes two months to get the Wimbledon site ready for the event, needs decision to be taken soon and All England Club chief executive Richard Lewis expects the call will be made at the emergency summit.

“the unprecedented challenge presented by the crisis Covid-19 continues to affect our lifestyle so that we could notimagine, and our thoughts are with all those affected in the UK and around the world “said Lewis.

“the most important consideration is one of public health, and we are determined to act responsibly in the decisions we make.

“We are working hard to bring security to our plans for 2020 and convened an emergency meeting of key administration AELTCconseil for next week, during which a decision will be made.” [123 ]
the Indian Wells Masters 1000 was the first to be affected by the impact of the pandemic ATP Tour event. male

and women’s tours are currently suspended until June 7, which comprises the entire campaign on clay.

“We are in close discussion with all the grass court events and remain on schedule as planned at this time,” said.

ATP president Andrea Gaudenzi “The reality is that this is a rapidly evolving situation and there is no other choice but to take it day by day and week by week. “