Juventus World Cup winner Blaise Matuidi and Mattia Zaccagni of Hellas Verona both tested positive for coronavirus, their Serie A clubs confirmed on Tuesday.
“Matuidi has undergone medical tests which have revealed his positivity for COVID-19,” the Italian champions said in a statement.
Juve added that Matuidi, 32, is asymptomatic and currently “involuntary isolation at home”. Midfielder Daniele Rugani’s teammate was the first high profile footballer to be diagnosed with coronavirus on March 11, sending the entire team to quarantine.
A total of 13 Serie A players have been officially diagnosed with the disease, including seven from Sampdoria and three from Fiorentina.
Italian midfielder Zaccagni, 24, had already isolated himself as a precaution after Verona faced Sampdoria on March 8.
“Zaccagni is doing well, in recent days he has had only a few bouts of fever,” said the Serie E club, eighth.
“The player and the entire team will extend their voluntary segregation at home until March 25, while continuing to be monitored.”
Matuidi urged fans to “be careful” in an Instagram post this weekend.
“At first, I did not really realize the seriousness and the danger of this disease,” he said.
“At this difficult time for all of us, I just wanted to invite you to follow official recommendations carefully and take good care of yourself and your loved ones.”