Kevin Durant is among four Brooklyn Nets players who tested positive for the new coronavirus and are isolated.
The injured Durant, who hasn’t played for the Nets since signing for the club last year, confirmed to The Athletic that he has tested positive for the virus.
“Everyone has to be careful, take care of themselves and quarantine. We’re going to be done with it,” said Durant.
The news that the NBA finals’ quintessential double player was among those who contracted the virus came shortly after the Nets confirmed that four players had tested positive for COVID-19.
“Four Brooklyn Nets players tested positive for COVID-19,” the team said in a statement.
“Of the four, one player has symptoms while three are asymptomatic.
“The four players are currently isolated and under the care of team doctors.”
The Nets said they were notifying known player contacts, including those of teams that played against the Nets shortly before the NBA closed its season indefinitely on March 12.
The last team to play against the Nets was the Los Angeles Lakers, leaders of the Western Conference, who were stunned 104-102 by Brooklyn on March 10.
The Lakers said Tuesday they had been told that the Nets’ four players were positive and that they were in touch with their own players and staff.
“Given the risks of exposure to our game against the Nets on March 10, we are following the next steps in our COVID-19 procedures and protocols which are established in consultation with various health officials, the NBA and our doctors UCLA health, “said the Lakers.
The Nets said that all players and the travel team were asked to isolate themselves and monitor their health.
The four cases are more than double the known number of COVID-19 cases among NBA players.
Utah Jazz defensive player Rudy Gobert was the first NBA player to test positive – his illness triggering the current NBA shutdown.
Teammate Donovan Mitchell and Christian Wood of the Detroit Pistons have also tested positive for the virus.
Wood was tested after reporting flu-like symptoms to Pistons’ medical staff.
Mitchell was tested after Gobert’s positive test but showed no symptoms.
“I have no symptoms,” said Mitchell in an ABC television interview on Monday.
“I could walk down the street [and] if it wasn’t common knowledge that I was sick, you wouldn’t know it. I think it’s the scariest part of this virus.”